Sleep – The New Silent Killer
Chances are that someone you know has an undiagnosed and untreated sleep disorder that is harming their health. In fact, that someone may be you. The symptoms of this sleep disorder may presently be mild or severe but one thing is certain – these symptoms will only worsen if the underlying disorder is left untreated. So please, pay careful attention to this information. It could save your life.
There are several medical disorders that can strike without warning. Diabetes and high blood pressure are called silent killers because the symptoms often go unrecognized.
- 26 million people in this country have diabetes – 7 million don’t know that they have it.
- 75 million adults have high blood pressure – 20 million don’t know they have it.
As shocking as these statistics may be, there’s an even more common undiagnosed issue that can put these numbers to shame.
What is Sleep Disordered Breathing?
There may be as many as 200 million people in this country that have sleep disordered breathing, and most of them don’t know it.
You may be aware of the potential dangers of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). This is a clinical condition caused by obstruction of the upper airway, causing the patient to choke and gasp for air overnight.
We know that the damaging and sometimes deadly effects of obstructive sleep apnea are due to sleep interruption, oxygen deprivation, and the effects of the “fight or flight” stress response that happens each time the patient stops breathing. The following symptoms are all known to result from sleep apnea:
- Chronic sleep interruption can lead to fatigue, low performance due to mental fog, poor memory consolidation, and accidental death.
- Oxygen deprivation can damage the brain and every other organ in the body, as well as leave you exhausted for most of the day.
- Chronic stress will also damage the brain, lower immunity and create emotional and mental havoc.
If you want to learn more about conditions related to or caused by adult sleep problems, check out these links:
Learn More About These Dangerous Conditions
Sleep isn’t for the weak — in fact, a lack of sleep can make you weak. Leaving your sleep issues untreated can not only make you feel fatigued and irritable, but it can lead to devastating health conditions as well.
If you’re having trouble getting the rest you need, contact our office by calling (443) 341-3085 or by filling out our easy online contact form. We’ll find a solution for your sleep problems so you can feel energized and fresh during the day.